Quinoa Stuffed Roast Chicken
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
5.0 grams of fibre per serving
This recipe may contain common and less common allergens, such as soy / dairy products / wheat / eggs / nuts / shellfish.
1 Whole - Large chicken, with skin, raw, patted dry
1 tsp - Salt, table
1 tsp - Pepper, black
½ tsp - Spices, thyme, dried
½ tsp - Spices, rosemary, dried
1 tb - Oil, olive
2 pcs - Garlic, cloves, crushed
1 pc - Medium onion, brown skinned, peeled, finely chopped
100g - Quinoa, red, uncooked
1 pc - Large celery, stick, diced
1 pc - Medium carrot, regular, fresh, peeled, diced
¾ cup - Peas, green, frozen, thawed
1 tsp - Herbs, coriander
1 cup - Water
Non-stick frying pan with lid, Chopping board, Knife, Roasting pan, Oven, Aluminum foil
1. Season the cavity and outside of the chicken with 3/4 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp ground black pepper, thyme and rosemary. Set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots, green peas and coriander, sauté for 5 mins.
3. Add the water and quinoa, bring to a boil.
4. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, stir then, reduce to a medium/low heat. Cover and simmer until the quinoa absorbs all of the water. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
6. Spoon quinoa mixture into the chicken cavity. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Place the chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
7. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, or until the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted. Cover the chicken with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
8. Carve the chicken into slices and plate on a platter.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (PER SERVING)
1 serving = about 405g