Shakshouka with Toasted Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Total time: 30 minutes
12.4 grams of fibre per serving
This recipe may contain common and less common allergens, such as soy / dairy products / wheat / eggs / nuts / shellfish.
2 tbsp - olive oil
1 medium size - onion, halved and finely sliced
2 medium size - green bell peppers, julienned
2 pcs - garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 - red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
1 packet - stevia, powder
1 cup - Tomatoes canned, chopped
pinch - freshly ground black pepper
4 pcs large - eggs
1 - small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 ½ cup (220grams) - Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce canned
130 grams - Avocado, sliced thinly
2 pcs large (about 6 inch) - Whole wheat pita bread, toasted, sliced into quarters
Measuring cups and spoons, knife, chopping board, heavy bottom frying pan and wooden spoon.
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan and sauté the onion and peppers for 2–3 minutes, until soft. Add in the garlic and chili and sauté until the garlic turns light brown.
2. Add the tomatoes and stevia powder and stir over medium heat for 3–4 minutes, until the mixture is slightly pulpy.
3. Mix in the baked kidney beans and a dash of freshly ground pepper and stir together for 1 min.
4. Using your wooden spoon make a plus sign marking on the frying pan which will help you divide the tomato bean mixture into four parts.
5. Cracked an egg into each part. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and cook until the whites are set.
6. Put the sliced avocados on top and sprinkle with some chopped parsley.
7. Serve with the sliced and toasted whole wheat pita bread quarters.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (PER SERVING)
1 serving = 2 quarter pita bread and about 270g Shakshouka